Tuesday 29 December 2009

Trying something new.

I love pannacotta, so I had a go at making it for the first time this week. I had a load of leftover cream in the fridge from Christmas and I used a Jamie Oliver recipe, as I just happened to be flicking through his Happy Days book looking for a chilli recipe, and stumbled upon the pannacotta recipe. (Hmmm, I'm not quite sure why I was in the back of the book looking at desserts when I was supposed to be looking for Chilli ideas.)

Anyway, it turned out to be a lot easier than I'd imagined. Just a bit of heating, mixing and pouring, really. The recipe uses 2 vanilla pods and serves 4 people... I think in future I'd just use one pod, as there were loads of seeds (not that I mind, I love them, but one would have been more than enough). Also, I missed out the step of whipping some of the cream with the icing sugar as I'd already heated the lot up together by the time I noticed it! End result did not seem to suffer, though. This was really good. I didn't have rhubarb, and as the pannacotta was infused with lemon zest, which gave it a slight tang, I decided to make up some Limoncello syrup (boiled Limoncello, lemon juice and icing sugar for a few minutes then left to cool) and serve it with that and some raspberries.

Next time, I want to try a quite complicated coffee pannacotta with fleur de sel caramel recipe that I found recently...............

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/pannacotta-with-roasted-rhubarb