Sunday 16 December 2007

A Story of Christmas Tradition……

Or, How to Make a Bunloaf.

This is a tale of family tradition, lost recipes and happy times.

In my home town of Liverpool, for many families – including my own – it was traditional to have Bunloaf at christmas time. Bunloaf is, as you will see, like a fruitcake. In our family it was always made, and distributed, by my Nana. Every year, we would eagerly await the foil wrapped package and try to show some restraint when it finally arrived. Then, we’d have to savour every mouthful – we only got one, and it had to go round all 5 of us. Plus, it would be a whole year until we got another!


Ingredients:
6oz soft dark brown sugar
Half pint cold water
8oz butter
1lb raisins, sultanas – or any mixed fruit
1lb self raising flour
2tbs marmalade
2tsps mixed spice
4 eggs

The ingredients are simple. You also have to remember that this recipe originated in a time when recipe books didn’t really exist – I certainly never saw one in my Nana’s house. In fact, I’m not even sure she had weighing scales!
And yet, delicious home made food would appear all year round from her kitchen. It’s funny, because many of us today have shelves lined with glossy tomes from Nigella, Jamie etc, and yet so much of our food comes out of packets! My nana didn’t own a recipe book and yet cooked everything from scratch. And she was a working mum, with few labour saving devices.
Although I will admit, in her later years she did become rather fond of Cup a Soups!

Ok, so here’s how you make the loaf.

Put the sugar, water, butter and fruit into a saucepan and bring to the boil
Boil for 10 minutes
Leave to cool, cover
and leave overnight



I don’t actually remember my Nana making her bunloaf this way – from my recollection she used the traditional method of creaming the butter and sugar and gradually beating in the eggs. Much more labour intensive. Now, when my Nan became too old to stand making bunloaves all day, the duty passed on to my mum – Nan was living with her by then and so could supervise every move. As she got older, as a safety precaution, we asked her to write down the ingredients. And she did. Unfortunately Nan died in 1993.
The next Christmas, I said to Mum – "you’ll be making the bunloaves this year, then?" The answer was yes. But, there was a problem – the carefully guarded recipe had disappeared. To this day we don’t know what happened to it. So - no bunloaf. And the end of a tradition.
This was pre – internet times, so Googling was not an option. As time went on we gradually forgot about this old family tradition. But not about our Nan, of course!
Next day, put the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl
Add the marmalade to the fruit and mix well
Add the beaten eggs and stir until combined


Can you imagine my delight when more than 10 years later – in 2004 – a friend of mine mentioned that her mum had sent her a bunloaf through the post. Doh! Why had I not thought of asking a fellow scouser if they knew of anybody with the recipe. And so, within minutes, it appeared in my inbox.

Now you’d never guess it to look at me, but I like my food. And, when I have some free time, I like to potter about in the kitchen…. and so, with my mum no longer able herself to make them, I took up the challenge of reinstating a tradition, and supplying my family with bunloaf at Christmas.

So the method was different – but the result was the same. Beautiful fruit loaf that brought back my happy christmas time memories.

Put the fruit/egg mix into the dry ingredients and beat until
thoroughly combined
Line two loaf tins with
greaseproof paper and fill
with the mixture
Bake for between 1 and 2
hours on 140 degrees

I’m not sure of the origins of this tradition, or indeed, if it’s confined to Liverpool. I do know that in Liverpool we called priests Father Bunloaf – no idea why, and google hasn’t been much help there either!


Remove from oven and allow to cool
Remove loaves from tins and wrap in foil
Freezes well
Best served slightly warmed (10 seconds in the microwave) or with butter


And here you have it – the finished bunloaf. I make around 12 -14 each Christmas to feed my family and now my husband’s family are in on the act (despite being from Leeds).

So, in essence, this is a tasty fruit cake. But to me it represents far more than that. Every slice is packed full of memories, family tradition and love.

Happy Christmas.

22 comments:

  1. I am from the Wirral and my mother used to make bunloaves every Christmas too, it was a family tradition that I thought came down from her grandmother who was Welsh. In fact I always thought that bunloaves were a Welsh tradition but think you are right and they come from the Lake District. I am so glad that somebody else other than me knows about bunloaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great grandfather was Welsh so you may be right, JeanneMarine! Who knows. Since I wrote this blog, I found out that a cousin of mine actually had a copy of my nan's recipe so I now have "the real thing"!

      Delete
    2. HI, now that you have your nan's original recipie which do you prefer and have you shared the original? Ive tried for years to replicate the old bunloaf with no success... delighted to find this page thanks

      Delete
    3. HI, now that you have your nan's original recipie which do you prefer and have you shared the original? Ive tried for years to replicate the old bunloaf with no success... delighted to find this page thanks

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon. The original recipe is:
    1.5lb self raising flour
    1lb margarine
    1/4 lb EACH of currants, raisins, sultanas
    1/2lb brown sugar
    1/4lb white sugar
    Jar of mixed spice
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon black treacle

    Put fruit in a pan and cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for 15 mins.
    Sift flour into a bowl and add both sugars, spice and margarine. Mix until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs.
    Add 2 eggs and treacle and roughly stir in.
    Drain fruit (keep the juice) and add to the mix. Stir until flour absorbed. Slowly add juice until mix is a stiff batter but easy to stir.
    Split into 2 large or 3 small loaf tins
    Cook at 100 degrees for 1 and a half hours or until a skewer comes out clean.

    I found the original recipe more hassle to make. However, it did taste great. I think the main thing was that my nan's recipe had more spice in - and I'd already been adding more to the new recipe I found.

    If I'm making a lot of these, I tend to use the newer recipe as it is easier and quicker for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this recipe, my dad used to make them every year and now its my turn, brings back many memories so thank you once again xx
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make them and enjoy them as much as we do x

      Delete
  4. Yes this is a family tradition from my nan, everything you have said brings back memories of my nan who has long since past. You have made me bring our tradition back and this year I've started making my nans butloaf and I have a large family that can't wait . Hope I can do my nans recipe justice. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s lovely - I hope you & your family enjoy them. Is your nan’s Recipe like either of the ones in my blog/comments?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum never had a recipe or scales and just baked from experience, she made the best Bunloaf ever. She borrowed bread tins from the bakery and then took the loaves back to the bakery to be baked as the tins were too big to go in our oven. That was the best bunloaf I have tasted in my life although two of my older sisters did try to replicate but they always turned out rather dry. I am going to try your recipe for Christmas. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story - they must have been some big bunloafs you were treated to! I hope the recipe I've posted works for you. If it goes a bit dry, 15 seconds in a microwave usually sorts that out.

      Delete
  7. I wrote a long comment and it stated that there was an error with the server.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My partner's family is from Liverpool and their Auntie Nelly used to make them ( I have her recipe ) and then a family friend called Janet used to make them . I now make one for his mum and dad that we post and I make another for us. I know another friend from Liverpool that had a tradition many years ago of having them at Christmas but they had all got too busy and lost the recipe so I have her mine ( auntie Nellie's ) and she has started the tradition again ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant - I love hearing the bunloaf stories and how they've passed down and people are starting new traditions. :-)

      Delete
  9. I always thought that the term Father Bunloaf was because of the shape of their hats. ? A Biretta ? I remember getting a clip on the head as I shouted out Here comes Father Bunloaf. I thought that was his name@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that's funny! I was only thinking about "Father Bunloaf" last week - now I've googled the hat, I definitely see how that could be the reason for it!

      Delete
  10. Father Bunloaf seems to have just been a scouse expression. Not heard it for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either. But I've been living away from Liverpool for more than 20 years now.

      Delete
  11. Read this with my tears in my eyes. My mum did the same every year and handed it round to my aunties and uncles. Sadly it's a tradition that's died but after reading this we are determined to bring it back. Thank you for sharing such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. i hope you do bring back the bunloaf tradition in your family.

      Delete
  12. My mum used to make what she called bun loaf, and whenever we visited there’d be one ready on the table. Sliced and spread with butter it was delicious. She’s gone now, so I can’t ask her for the recipe, and there’s never anything quite like it in the shops – too sweet, or too sticky. We’re from the Midlands, so I don’t suppose they’re the same, but yours and your Nana’s look very promising. I have two questions, though. Is the tea straight out of the pot, or with milk? And, compared to the 140 degrees of your Nana’s, 100 degrees seems a bit low. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martyn, your mum's cake sounds like a tea loaf. My nan's didn't have tea in - just cold water. But you could try using my recipe with cold tea instead? When I've made tea loaf in the past it has always been with black tea, no milk.
      I think the main difference in my recipe and tea loaf recipes is that tea loaf tends to not have butter in the cake mix.
      https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/tea-loaf

      Good luck, I hope you can replicate something like your mum used to make.

      Delete