Tuesday 8 May 2007

Tuesday 8th May

I have just realised that I don't need to head up each Blog post with the Date as it appears automatically! I will have to think of some more imaginative titles for each post........

Spotted this in the Mail yesterday.


Some of the comments people have left are really harsh - so judgemental. Maybe that's Mail readers for you ;-0. Anyway, Lynn, one of the PC Patients on the PCUK forum commented that:

"OMG that's such a shame but he is alive and well now and if it was me I think I would leave it at that and start again. We are only human and doctors are human too, yes there are lessons to be learned but the money he could sue for could be better spent improving treatment and diagnosis of pancreatic cancers. He probably sold his story too.
I think the paper could have better used their space and devoted a section to the figures for pancreatic cancer and how a diagnosis of it affects the family unit and changes their lives. The light needs to be shed to the world about this horrid silent killer. It upsets me that other cancers get much more publicity and funding."


Then of course, I spent a good few minutes last night pondering on my dad - what if it's all just been a big mistake? Why isn't he deteriorating as fast as we thought he would? Why isn't he in pain? Why no jaundice?

But then I have to get back to reality.

Mum's vein in her foot "popped" again today. Twice. This is not good - she's seeing the doctor tomorrow. Lorraine did clean up and tourniquet operations as I wasn't here... and mum has had to sit with her feet up all day, which is driving her potty.

Dad's mates (Phil, George and Ritchie) came to see him for a few hours this afternoon. They had a good talk - they told me on the way home that they could hardly get a word in edgeways :-). Dad was very pleased to see them, and has also asked to see Joan and Wally (our cousin and uncle) again. It's great to see him wanting more visitors again.

I asked Dad one day if he was ok... it's a stupid thing but we do still wander in and say banal things like "are you alright?" and "are you ok?". He just said "Yes, I am. I'm getting lots of loving care and attention".

Dad is leaving us with so many lovely words and memories - how kind and thoughtful of him. I don't know if he realises he's doing it - but I suspect he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment